Emily K. Catania is a partner in the Birmingham, Michigan office of Morganroth & Morganroth. Ms. Catania’s practice primarily focuses on complex commercial litigation, business matters, general civil litigations, white collar criminal matters and appeals. Ms. Catania joined the firm in 2019.
Ms. Catania is a Cranbrook Kingswood (Bloomfield Hills, Michigan) graduate who earned her Bachelor’s degree with honors in Music Business and Performance, with a minor in Business and Entertainment Media Technology, from New York University’s Stern School of Business. She earned her Juris Doctor degree from Michigan State University College of Law where she received the Diversity Service Award and was a member of the International Law Review.
Ms. Catania has a wide range of business and legal experience. After graduating from law school, Ms. Catania served as an Account Executive at Bloomingdales in New York City where she was responsible for managing copy editors and content designers regarding all of Bloomingdales’ catalogues and special projects. Ms. Catania managed and negotiated contracts on behalf of the special projects team at Bloomingdales. Ms. Catania transitioned to the exclusively legal sector at a New York law firm which specialized in no-fault insurance litigation in New York City, Staten Island, Long Island, the Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn. As an associate, Ms. Catania was responsible for over 300 cases at a time, handled hundreds of arbitrations, made numerous court appearances and acquired substantial litigation experience through large-scale medical provider lawsuits involving facilities illegally funded by organized crime. Through her success in the courtroom, Ms. Catania transitioned to in-house counsel for GEICO where she served as a trial attorney specializing in Bodily Injury.
A few examples of some of the types of matters that Ms. Catania has handled include:
- Served as counsel defending a client on claims of extortion;
- Served as co-counsel for a top mortgage lender regarding alleged breach of employment, tortious interference with contract and tortious interference with ongoing business relations;
- Served as co-counsel representing a client on a misdemeanor charges of retail fraud and conversion;
- Served as co-counsel representing a client on felony firearm charges;
- Served as co-counsel defending a fitness facility against claims of breach of lease agreement amidst the COVID-19 Pandemic;
- Served as counsel litigating personal injury claims resulting from a motor vehicle accident;
- Served as counsel representing clients regarding claims of loss against major insurance companies;
- Served as co-counsel litigating civil claims of conversion;
- Served as co-counsel representing a major franchise in a claim for legal malpractice;
- Served as counsel for a fitness facility preparing employee handbooks and waivers;
- Served as co- counsel defending a renowned watch retailer against claims of breach of contract;
- Served as co- counsel litigating against a large fashion-company regarding employment disputes;
- Served as co-counsel representing a client in an EEOC matter against the government;
- Served as co-counsel litigating multiple matters against various general contractors for breach of contract and deficient work;
- Served as counsel negotiating employment contracts on behalf of employees; and
- Assisted in-house counsel at a major Detroit-Based company and its subsidiaries on various transactional and litigation matters.
Ms. Catania is a member of the State Bar of Michigan, is licensed to practice law in the State of New York, and licensed to practice before the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan. She was selected as a Super Lawyer Rising Star from 2021-2023, and is currently earning her Divorce Mediation certification.